My Boston

Monday, October 18, 2004

#19 Boston Fall Splendor - October 15, 2004

My dears!

It has been an exhausting week at work, but thanks to the holiday last Monday a short one, so Friday came mercifully quick. Boston and the New England states have definitely committed to the season of autumn and are putting forth the most magnificent display of colorful foliage.

Last weekend, after using a day to recuperate from my travels and straighten out my apartment, Linda #3 and I decided to head for Walden Pond in Concord, MA – made famous by American naturalist author David Henry Thoreau. (http://nanosft.com/walden/october/index.html) Thoreau moved there in 1845 to live in simplicity and later published his book "Walden" in 1854. I certainly understand his fascination with the area, and visiting New England in the fall is certainly an unbelievable experience - having been in California for sixteen year with only a rainy and a sunny season, I was absolutely stunned by the display of color happening here. The display of oranges, reds and yellows and their radiance - absolutely beautiful. I felt as if I discovered certain colors for the first time, and to look at a stretch of forest who is bright red in color is just sooo worth it. We had a nice walk along the pond, and visited the site of Thoreau's cabin. Right at the site, as a tribute to the writer and philosopher, Mrs. Mary Newbury Adams started a rock cairn, where visitors to the pond began placing rocks, flowers and twigs. People from all over the world have continued this tradition and to this date add to the pile of rocks. Visiting the area definitely puts you in a contemplative mood, and it was nice to remember some of the wonderful words Thoreau wrote. Here is one of my favorites: "Live in each season as it passes, breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit and resign yourself to the influence of each." (For Thoreau's writing see - http://www.thoreau.niu.edu/thoreau_walden.html).

Afterwards (it is tradition whenever you go anywhere near Concord) we had to visit Kimball Farms for a kilo of ice cream (per person). Their frappes are to die for! We ended the day with stocking up on fall supplies (pumpkins, gourds, bittersweet,decor for the house) and going to the movies ("Vanity Fair").

On Monday I absolutely enjoyed the fact that I had the day off, Columbus Day! After lolling around all morning, I decided to go on a bike ride along the Minuteman Bikeway (http://www.minutemanbikeway.org/Pages/intro.html( an 11-mile bike path which leads from Cambridge to Arlington, Lexington all the way out to Bedford, MA). Aside from the fact that it might have not been such a great idea to test out my new bike seat on a long ride, and considering that it took me a while to weasel my way through Cambridge, it was a beautiful day and once again, fall splendor all about. Since not everyone had the day off, the trail was not overly crowded and it was a very pleasant adventure.

Tuesday brought some excitement with it as the series between the Red Sox and the Yankees started up, so I went to one of my hangouts, Harvard Gardens, to watch a bit. So far the baseball gods have not been kind to us (This was supposed to be the year, remember!), and we hope that some divine intervention and a better pitching performance will turn this around for us.

Wednesday my friend Stephanie and I made the best out of a canceled book club night, and headed for the Paramount Restaurant in Beacon Hill on Beautiful Charles Street. Reviewed in the Boston Globe as having "status without being pretentious" it is a very classy dinner spot, which during daytime is a made-to-order cafeteria-style breakfast and lunch place. Good food and nice ambience.

The hospital has been having all kinds of events as well, yesterday was POPS Day, an event from the Police and Security Department, and today is Ether Day (yes, yes,I expected free ether as well - did not happen) - an event that celebrates the fact that at MGH on October 16, 1846 the first ever use of ether as an anesthetic took place. From the MGH Web site: "William T.G. Morton, a Boston dentist, administered the anesthetic to patient Gilbert Abbott. Abbott then was rendered unconscious in the operating theater on the top floor of the Bulfinch Building. MGH co-founder John Collins Warren, MD, surgically removed the vascular tumor from Abbott's jaw in a pain-free procedure and made his famous statement: "Gentlemen, this is no humbug." It is also the day when MGH employees with milestone years of employment get honored and the whole hospital drops by for cheese, fruit and cupcakes. I saw on the list of employees that there were five people who have worked here for 60 years! (Scary, I really do not want to work that long....)

Well, the weekend is upon us, and as usual it is packed! Tonight I am meeting friends at a place called The 21st Amendment, which is an English style bar, located on Beacon Hill near the State House. If features a large copper fireplace, a jukebox and lots of dark wood and brick walls. The original 21st Amendment repealed prohibition and allowed the nation to drink, according to a web site I consulted. My kind of place! I am heading to New Hampshire tomorrow to hike Mt. Zealand with a group from the Appalachian Mountain Club. I will have to leave the house at 5:30 AM! Some tentative plans for Sunday to either head for the Berkshires or somewhere else for a nice hike with Linda #1, and we'll take it from there.

Wishing you all a nice nice nice nice weekend.

LOL,

Pet:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home