My Boston

Monday, October 18, 2004

#4 The Boston Bugle - July 2, 2004

Howdy People!

Another week has gone by and I cannot believe that I have been here for about four weeks! I must be having fun, as time really seems to zip by in a hurry. July 2nd with a holiday weekend ahead and the unpredictable Boston weather is providing an interesting display right now: I am looking at a sunny sky from my office but I can hear the thunderstorm on the other side of the building.
Needless to say, I have been getting to know the city better, and I know you will ask for the most recent pub report, so here it is:
I met my friends Linda and Roger at Sevens Ale House on Charles Street, a quintessential Beacon Hill bar, with many regulars who come to watch the Red Sox and throw darts (the way the Red Sox are playing, people might be inclined to combine these two activities). It is a bit noisy, and some of the regulars certainly exceed their beer limit and lean on you in ways you have never dreamed of. Nice little tidbit about Sevens – a sign does not point you to the restrooms, but to “Public Conveniences.” Another pub nearby, stumbling distance from home, is the Hill Tavern, more of a relaxed nightlife spot with great food. I had some very spirited discussions there with some Philadelphia baseball fans on Saturday night.
My hike to New Hampshire on Saturday got cancelled – yes you guessed right, another thunder storm, so I decided to walk along the Charles River Esplanade (www.http://boston.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=boston&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.state.ma.us%2Fmdc%2Fcharlesr.htm), which is absolutely beautiful. You can walk, jog, bike, roller blade for miles along this grassy, tree-lined park along the beautiful Charles River. You can walk along Boston’s Back Bay, check out the activities of the Community Boating Association, glance over to Cambridge, or ride your bike all 17 miles out to Watertown. In 1929 Arthur Fiedler chose the Esplanade for the site of the Boston Pops' outdoor concerts. The Hatch Memorial Shell was constructed there 10 years later. On July 4th, you can see the Boston Pops play a concert and then watch the fireworks. My friend Lisa Miller (yeah, my first visitor!) and I will be in attendance. Storrow Drive, the intercity freeway parallel to the Esplanade will be closed during the celebrations. http://www.bso.org/armsOfBSO.jhtml?catName=Pops&area=pop
Another attempt on my part to hike this weekend was thwarted when the trip leader who was supposed to pick me up, missed me at the meeting point. After getting over my abandonment issues and the associated serious impacts on my personality development, I headed for the hub.
Sidebar (from Boston Online.com’s Wicked Guide To Boston English) (http://www.boston-online.com/glossary.html) :
Hub = What Boston is. The Hub of the Universe. First coined by writer Oliver Wendell Holmes who actually referred to the State House as the hub of the solar system. Today a plaque on the sidewalk of Filene’s downtown commemorates the exact center of the universe (although they built an outdoor café over it; you might have to move a table aside to see it). Actually the only people who use the word anymore are headline writers looking for a short synonym for Boston as in the apocryphal headline:
“2 Hub Men Die in Blast; New York also destroyed.”
So Sunday, I paid a visit to Faneuil Hall, the “cradle of liberty” - http://www.cityofboston.gov/freedomtrail/faneuilhall.asp or http://faneuil-hall.visit-boston-massachusetts.com/ In 1742, a wealthy merchant named Peter Faneuil financed the construction of this meeting hall. Town meetings, held here between 1764 and 1774, heard Samuel Adams and others lead cries of protest against the imposition of taxes on the colonies. The building was enlarged in 1806. Frederick Douglass (who bears a striking resemblance to James Brown), William Lloyd Garrison, and Lucy Stone brought their struggles for freedom here in the 19th century. The guide from the National Park Service was the most hilarious speaker I have ever heard (his rendition of what happened during the Boston Tea Party, and the effect of highly caffeinated harbor water on the fish was quite amazing). I went on to Quincy Market, which is dripping with tourists, the equivalent of Pier 39 in San Francisco - so needless to say, my time there was limited. “Lucky Bob” a street performer and master juggler was definitely worth seeing.
Then it was time to go on a walking tour of the North End, the Italian part of Boston, some sections of which are on the Freedom Trail. http://www.northendboston.com/
It is where you see Paul Revere’s house: http://www.paulreverehouse.org/ ; the USS Constitution http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/ ; Copps Hill Burying Ground and excellent, excellent Italian Food. The walking tour was conducted by a very nice young woman named Heather, who donned traditional 18th- century garb.
I also discovered Bostix, where similar to TKTS in New York, you can half-price tickets for theater plays and musicals. I decided to go see “Shear Madness”, a very funny “who-dunit” with audience participation. Absolutely hilarious! http://www.shearmadness.com/index.html .
I have been going to the gym, which is right next door to my house and work, and belongs to the hospital (we pay 9$ per week), and has indoor and outdoor pools, and tons of classes.
I also attended my first meeting of “Running Partners”, the running group for the hospital. Most of you know that I am not much of a runner, but the group is fun, and they have other beginners like me, so I thought to give it a whirl. The meeting was, of course, in a pub, this one was “The Red Hat Cafe” on Bowdoin Street, where a disappointed crowd watched the Red Sox loose to the Yankees. (Sore subject here, Yankees are seriously disliked).
Saw Harry Potter this week (the movie, not HP himself), and liked it a lot. The cinematography was great, beautifully made, and I think a bit more targeted toward adolescent and adult audiences. Also saw “Supersize Me” the documentary on the guy who ate McDonalds for a month – makes you want to eat healthy, really quickly.
My caaah is coming tonight, and I got a parking spot for it! I am paying through the nose, but not as much as other folks around here. Still on the waiting list for cheaper hospital parking. My furniture will arrive next Tuesday or Wednesday, and I will be finally living like a decent person. (Hold your commentaries, right there).
Last little tidbit (again, from the Boston Courant Newsletter’s police report – headline: “Know When To Fold Them” about a shoplifter, who neatly folded his clothes while stealing them. Excerpt: “If I didn’t know better, I’d say this gentleman had been trained by my mother. She always extolled the virtues of folding one’s clothes neatly and ferreting out bargains at Filene’s Basement. I don’t think my mom would have approved of shoplifting, however getting a steal at Filene’s is the closest she gets to scandalous behavior.”

Another little note: since the summers here are short, people seem to genuinely enjoy them, everyone is out and about, and happily soak up some sun!

On that note, have a sunny 4th of July, and as my friend Mike says, no dumping of tea in the harbor!

Pet:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home