My Boston

Monday, October 18, 2004

#6 Boston Weekly - July 16, 2004

Hello All,

Time for the weekly update from the Right Coast.

To start off with the good news: I have furniture! What's even better - it is my furniture! There were a few small damages (remunerations are on the way!), but all in all, my stuff arrived in decent condition. There must have been some supernal force leading the little truck to my home, and I am happy indeed.

What can I tell you about my last week?

Last weekend you could find me at the Boston Common almost every day - Friday night I first attended the softball game between the Beacon Hill Civic Association's Young Friends and Neighbors and the Neighborhood Association of the Back Bay. Beacon Hill came out victorious with a smashing score of 33:7. I then proceeded to another section of the Common, where the Boston Landmark Orchestra performed a free concert: Beethoven's 9th Symphony "Ode to Joy" (my favorite classical piece). It was quite a wonderful night to sit out and listen to great classical music. [http://www.landmarksorchestra.org/index.html]
On Saturday morning, I headed out to Concord, MA - my first volunteer opportunity with Boston Cares was to help out at a place called Gaining Ground, a non-profit farming organization that donates all of their produce to Boston area shelters and food programs. I got a little lost on the way there, but eventually found myself harvesting cucumbers under the watchful eye of some wild turkeys. I also assembled some dried flours and got bitten by mosquitoes. [http://www.gainingground.org/] Gaining Ground's main garden is also the property where David Henry Thoreau was born in 1817.
Saturday evening it was back to the Common, where the Commonwealth Shakespeare Company performed Shakespeare's ludic tale "Much Ado about Nothing" [http://www.freeshakespeare.org/] - it was a wonderful experience (maybe except for the part where the best seats, which were cordoned off, were released - a scene reminiscent of the Oklahoma Land Rush). The performance was beautiful and very entertaining.
Sunday was movie night, "The Terminal" with Tom Hanks, a must-see in my book.
On Tuesday, I met up with a new friend from work, and we went to a great restaurant on Charles Street, called "Figs", a place famous for its inventive pizza creations {home of the "unround" pizza), and its chef, Todd English. [http://www.toddenglish.com/index.html] English has several restaurants and is quite a celebrity around here.
Yesterday I had my first official run with the "Running Partners" and I am very proud of myself. I did 3 1/2 miles!! We ran along Jamaica Park, a park that is part of the so-called Emerald Necklace - a beautiful area to run. It has been rainy most of this week, so the weather was nice and cool for running purposes. [http://www.emeraldnecklace.org/index.cgi?page=jamaicapark].
Tonight I am heading out with some friends to see Fahrenheit 9/11 and for some Mexican food.
And as always, I have to put in a little tidbit from my favorite paper, the Beacon Hill Times:
Under the headline "Hill of Beans" there was a chapter to "explain Boston mores to our visitors": I am copying the section about Boston Driving Rules for you:
"There really aren't any, but there are some suggestions. The yellow light, for instance, is here called "Boston Green." Which means you are to respond to it as you would to a green one. Which is to stomp your accelerator and barrel ahead through the intersection. It is generally preferred that one makes a right hand turn from the far left lane and a left hand one from the far right. (Don't ask, it's just a custom.). And when changing lanes, never, never, never signal your intention with a blinking taillight. This is considered a security leak and is frowned upon as such."

The last two tidbits:
*Gas here is $1.99 (tough luck, California!)
*I am reading "The Life of Pi" and found a slightly disconcerting statement in there that I as a scientist take great offense to: "Scientists are a friendly, atheistic, hard-working, beer-drinking lot whose minds are preoccupied with sex, chess and baseball when they are not pre-occupied with science." Not true, I say. I know nothing about chess.

On that note, have a great weekend, folks.

LOL,

pet:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home