My Boston

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

#21 Boston - Yesssss!!!!! - October 29, 2004

There are no words, there simply are no words!

What an experience to be in Boston when the beloved Red Sox win the World Series, first time since 1918! Eighty-six years of baseball frustration alleviated!! What an experience for me at the stroke of midnight to stroll into my birthday through downtown Boston with tens of thousands of baseball fans out in the streets, cheering, cars honking, church bells ringing, helicopters flying, smiles on every face, high-fives abound! It was truly magical!
T-shirt vendors are out in force on the streets today, there is just one conversation subject, and the city will celebrate with a big fat parade on Saturday morning. 5 Million people are expected to cram into downtown Boston!!

Functioning on little sleep, fumbling my way to the newspaper box just in order to read everything about the event that I witnessed every second of, it was a wonderful and exciting "day after". Birthday, Baseball, Beautiful Fall Weather. Life is good. Many of us here will use the upcoming weekend to balance out our sleep deficit, pay deserved attention to the New England Patriots, who have been on a 21-game winning streek, and the upcoming elections. The fun never stops!

Last weekend definitely provided some time for R&R and interesting activities. I attended the Head of the Charles Regatta (http://www.hocr.org/index2.html), which started in 1965 for the first time, and features rowing races with participants from all over the world! The weather showed its grumpy-grey-windy side, but I stayed around for a lazy minute or two, grabbed a "wish bag" full of kettle corn and then headed home for the couch. In the evening, I hoofed it over to the Boston Common where an attempt for a Guiness Book of World Records was made by trying to come up with more than 28,952 lit pumpkins. The actual count ended up being 16, 462 jack-o-lanterns, a wee bit short of the record, but I have to say it was a dazzling display, quite spectacular! Pumpkins of all sizes and shapes, with the most amazing artwork carved on them, anything from the symbol for Pi to George Bush and other political statements, the typical Halloween art work such as creepy ghosts, ghastly witches, spiders, monkeys and of course, Red Sox socks and "Go Sox" cheers - all of them lining the trails of the Common and on display on huge scaffolds. Wow!
Sunday I headed to the Museum of Science to (on the last day possible) see the Exhibit of the Lord of the Rings movie paraphernalia, which was definitely a must-see. On display were all the costumes from the movies, the maquette models for some of the buildings and castles, and stations featured swords and armor from the movie set. Each sword had three versions, an original steel sword for the close ups, and aluminum and polyurethane versions of the same for fight and action scenes. Video screens showed how some of the digital art work was done, quite amazing!
The rest of the weekend and this week was filled with some R&R and rainy weather laziness, tons of baseball excitement, heaps of work (big deadline coming up) and of course, the frenzy of Wednesday night, where I sat with my friends Renee, Alyssa and Vanessa, watching Game 4 of the World Series and hoping that the dream would come true! Yesterday's birthday was spent with new and old friends, lunches, dinners and other general merriment.
Tonight I am heading for my first-ever Halloween party/ball - the Black Cat Bewitching Ball at the Park Plaza Hotel. In order to not be a complete dud and attend the ball as such, I headed for a vintage clothing store in Cambridge called "The Garment District" earlier this week and ended up coming home with my first- and last-ever cheerleader outfit, blond pigtail wig and pompons! Give me a B, give me an I, give me an M, give me a B, give me an O!!! Gooooooooo ....! I will have to stuff myself into said garment tonight and hope to look as ridiculous as possible (isn't that the purpose?).
Tomorrow AM I will unfortunately miss the Red Sox parade and a chance to hang out with five million of my closest friends, as I am heading to Waltham for a race (5K) called "The Halloween Shuffle", where I will once again don the aforementioned airhead outfit. Other plans for the weekend include some serious couch time, possibly a drive to Providence to see the water fire (http://www.waterfire.com/photos/index.html) on the Woonasquatucket, Mosshasuck and Providence Rivers. Sunday night of course is Halloween, and I learned that Beacon Hill is quite the place to be, so I will be loitering with some friends and give that cheerleader outfit some more mileage.

Comrades - I hope this email finds you all well - have a great weekend, be happy for the city of Boston and make your dentist happy by feeding lots of candy to little children.....

On that sweet note - toodles!

pet:)







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home