My Boston

Friday, November 19, 2004

#24 Boston - First Snow - November 19, 2004

Immediately for the good news! (No, not the snow, duh! even though I do consider that good news).

One of my black and white photographs got accepted for an exhibit called "Illuminations", which is a quarterly exhibit at the MGH Cancer Center. The artwork will be displayed throughout our brandspankin' new Yawkey Outpatient Building, and my photograph is one of them! Very proud little photographer I am!

Also (and this is a bit related to snow), I booked my first ski trip (with lessons, helmet included) for December 4th, where I will head up to the Sunday River ski area in Maine!
Following that segue, we did have our first snow here in Boston last week! Yesss! It started on Friday morning and snowed solidly for about a day-and-a-half. I was of course utterly delighted, giddy as a schoolgirl, skipping though the streets with a misty-eyed expression on my face. I was looked at by my Boston colleagues with astonishment, and the certainty that by March I surely would be so sick of the snow, that I was ready to move back to California. I ignored it and continued to be thrilled. Looking out the window and seeing people sweep snow off their caahs gave me the wonderful satisfaction that the exorbitant parking fee I do pay was not for naught, and that Ella was snug and warm in her underground garage. I took Oscar to the window for his first ever viewing of snow, and he seemed completely entranced by the snowflakes - that's my boy!

As if it was planned that way the Boston Ski and Sports Club had its "Blizzard of Oz" party to open the ski season Friday evening. The party itself was nothing to write home about, in particular my new slightly slow "friend" Bob, who I had to tell at some point that it was now really time for me to go wash my hair. In a side room though, there was an exhibit hall where all the ski resorts in New England provided information on trails, ski lessons, vacations, etc. That was definitely worth it, and I am really looking forward to my first lesson. There are some ski areas that are actually fairly close to Boston (Wachussett, Nashoba and the Blue Hills), so that should provide ample opportunities for a novice like me.

Saturday it continued to snow, and that reminded me that it was definitely time for some winter wear shopping so my friend Elizabeth and I headed downtown to do some retail therapy. Successful retail therapy I might add, and I did return home with a good loot. I noted a slightly scary trend though, the quilt bag women now seemed to have morphed into the Ugly Christmas Sweater Brigades. If I loose my mind (completely) when I am 80 and wear one of those things, please shoot me! The weather got nicer by the day and Sunday provided me with the chance to go for a beautiful hike in the snow in the Blue Hills just outside of Boston. It was just wonderful! On Sunday I also had my first experience "slush and snow jogging". Some of the snow had melted already and there were patches of ice along the Charles River Esplanade, which made for some interesting foot maneuvering on my part.

The week so far has been quite busy at work, with some serious deadlines in the works, but full of learning, and some "aha" moments to be proud of. Not enough though to keep me from staying indoors at night. On Tuesday I accompanied my new Russian Friend Tatiana to the swanky Harvard Club, where she just became a member. It was a very pleasant evening, with a tour of the facility (http://www.harvardclub.com/site/content/tour/tour.jsp). Wednesday night our planned book group pretty much disintegrated and my colleague Renee and I ended up on a cocktail binge at Deville Lounge [http://kingsbackbay.com/?], a very stylish, chichi kinda place, with cocktails with pretty pretty names like Dead Apple and Cranker. Needless to say we had to sample one or two or three. Most of you know that I do not drink cocktails too often and too much of it (Fredi - not a word, NOT A WORD!) - let's just say it was an entertaining evening. I just returned from my class at Harvard (hated it, bad teacher, bad bad teacher) and now will retire to my couch with Harry Potter. Weekend plans are forming quickly and next Wednesday I will be getting the hell out of Dodge to go to Stillwater, Oklahoma, and spend Thanksgiving with some very good friends of mine. I will hail with my next update from the Sooner State, where the weather forecast promises sunshine over the holiday.

Fully aware of the New England chill that I will experience this winter, I am adding a little bit of weather frivolity at the end. On that note, bundle up, people and be well!

pet:)

NEW ENGLAND TEMPERATURE CONVERSION CHART

60° F: Southern Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in New England sunbathe.

50° F: New Yorkers try to turn on the heat. People in New England plant gardens.

40° F: Italian & English cars won't start. People in New England drive with the windows down.

32° F: Distilled water freezes. Maine's Moose Head Lake's water gets thicker.

20° F: Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats. People in New England throw on a flannel shirt.

15° F: New York landlords finally turn up the heat. People in New England have the last cookout before it gets cold.

0° F: All the people in Miami die. New Englanders close the windows.

-10° F: Californians fly away to Mexico. The Girl Scouts in New England are selling cookies door to door.

-25° F: Hollywood disintegrates. People in New England get out their winter coats.

-40° F: Washington DC runs out of hot air. People in New England let the dogs sleep indoors.

-100° F: Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. New Englanders get frustrated because they can't start their "kahs."

-460° F: All atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale). People in New England start saying, "cold 'nuff for ya?"

-500° F: Hell freezes over. The Red Sox win the World Series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home