My Boston

Friday, December 03, 2004

#26 Boston - Whisky A Go-Go - December 3, 2004

Greetings Fellow Earthlings!

I have returned safe and somewhat sound from my Thanksgiving vacation in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Following the cluster of activities around Turkey Day, the weekend took on a much more relaxed note, however it did not start out that way. On Saturday morning, my friend Ulli introduced me to the wonders of Wall's Bargain Center, which is the ultimate Adrenaline shopping experience! Wall's, my friends, is located in a semi-abandoned shopping mall on the outskirts of Stillwater, and I believe the only open store there. Going to Wall's is a bit like mining, probably 60% of the things they have are what I would label junk, and the other 40% are good, and I mean, gooooood stuff! You would not believe the gems you can find there! A pair of brand-new Bandolino leather boots for $35, Ralph Lauren and Hilfiger Tops, Cashmere sweaters for $20, Art books, you name it. I still get seizures just thinking about it, and my heart skips a beat when I walk past my closets. We made out like Oklahoma bandits and my friend Ulli had to get me out of there quickly before things got really bad. Ulli's daughters have now labeled us as "the crazy shopping ladies", which is probably not too far from the truth. Wall's will do that to you.

Saturday afternoon was spent in the company of a slightly motley crue when Ulli and Gerald hosted an Advent Coffee and Cake event, with German friends, a British opera singer, a cantor from New Jersey (go figure) and an engineer from San Jose. It was quite a lively group and we stuffed ourselves with all kinds of German Christmas specialties, which we had to wash down with some Pizza a tad later. Sunday was the quintessential lazy day, we set up the Christmas tree, my friend Gerald recorded about 50 CDs for me, nothing major! Travel back on Monday to Boston was amazingly smooth, albeit it was a very tough day as we had to get up at 3 AM in Stillwater in order to get the 6 AM flight.

Upon my return I have been dedicating myself to a new vice - yes, my friends, I too have been swallowed by the Netflix wormhole. Movies appear mysteriously in my mailbox to my extreme delight! When I signed on, I just browsed and checked a few movies here and there, and immediately had 50 movies in my queue!
Work has been insane, insane, insane - huge deadline looming, things being put on the back burner that should not be there, and everyone is stressed. My boss has vowed to strangle all of those characters who give me trouble - that helps a bit. He is a saint and surprised Renee and myself this week with specially made Christmas wreaths from Vermont!

On the social front, I attended a whisky tasting this week at the Ritz Hotel. The event was organized through my friends at the Boston Ski and Sports Club. We first piled up in a room where we were served cocktails (Chivas on the rocks, Chivas with Ginger Ale and Chivas Smoked Apple Martinis). After we were sufficiently tanked up, we were moved to a different area where the actual tasting began, hosted by a very entertaining, kilt-wearing Scotsman (www.maninaskirt.com), who was just unbelievable! Side-splittingly funny, keen, quick-witted and we learned something (now if we could only remember it!). I was amazed at the nuances in the taste and I actually favored the peaty malts. We all left with a bottle of Chivas in our hands and in a particularly splendid mood!
I met up at the whisky fest with a group of some BSSC folks that I knew from other events, and we have organized a get-together at a German restaurant here in Boston next Friday (http://www.jacobwirth.com/). Apparently there might be a Karaoke component to the evening, which is not something inherently German, but some of us might be able to carry a tune (it's not gonna be me though, and the minute I start hollering Barry Manilow tunes, I am sure someone will pay for another beer just to shut me up).

Under the headline of "This would not happen in California" I had a rather interesting grocery shopping experience this week. As I made my way into the produce section at Shaws, it looked as if the place had been robbed. A few measly piles of mushrooms, scanty amounts of peppers, nothing - the place was cleaned out. When I asked the clerk on what happened, he said that there was a produce shortage!!! I thought he was pulling my leg, that was a first for me! Enjoy the Berkeley Bowl, people!

The weekend is upon us, and unfortunately my ski trip got canceled, so the ski slopes up in Maine will be safe for now! This leaves me with some time for a hike with my friend Elaine, possibly some tennis with my Swiss friend Sam (if the weather holds up that is) and some Christmas shopping in anticipation of my upcoming trip to Germany later this month. Tonight I will be heading to Frog Pond in the Boston Common for a little ice skating followed by a good dose of sleep.

Happy Weekend everyone, I leave you with another little dollop of Boston humor, this time about the cuisine.

So long.

pet:)



Boston Cuisine

*Boston cream pie is a cake.
*Frappes have ice cream; milk shakes don't.
*Chowdah does not come with tomatoes.
*Soda is club soda. Pop is Dad. If it's fizzy and flavored, it's tonic. When we mean tonic water, we say tonic water.
*Scrod is whatever they tell you it is, usually fish. If you paid more than $6 a pound, you got scrod.
*They're hot dogs. Franks were people who lived in France in the ninth century.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home